Christmas day is over, the presents have all been given out and you still have a fridge full of food. What to do!? Before you make yet another ham sandwich, on the fourth day of Christmas, we give you some of our recipe ideas for inventive ways that you can use up the last of your Christmas leftovers.
1. Christmas ham is a much-loved staple in most homes, making it the perfect meat to add to any of these dishes. Here are a few ideas to get you started, otherwise check out our great leftover ham recipes below:
- Christmas ham is a great addition to a homemade pizza, especially when teamed up with fresh mozzarella, vine ripened tomatoes and a scattering of basil.
- For the easiest leftover solution, use your ham to make gourmet sandwiches, together with pickles, peppery salad greens and a good mayonnaise.
2. Make the most of any cold roast chicken and turkey by adding it to this range of dishes, from sandwiches to stir-fries. Here are a few ideas to get you started, otherwise check out our great leftover chicken and turkey recipes below:
- Try stuffing the leftover turkey or chicken into croquettes, along with your favourite cheese, chopped fresh herbs and a little lemon zest.
- Leftover turkey and chicken are delicious in fried rice, as the meat absorbs the flavours of the sauce. Add a few fresh veggies and a sprinkling of fresh coriander to completely re-invent the dish.
- Roast turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce is one of the joys of having Christmas leftovers.
3. From slow-cooked beef to rosemary studded lamb, no matter what meat you have left over you can find the perfect reinvention recipe with this selection. Here are a few ideas to get you started, otherwise check out our great leftover recipes below:
- Turn leftover meat into South American empanadas. Cut circles from pre-made pastry and stuff them with a mix of chopped meat, sautéed onions, hardboiled egg and green olives. Seal them up like a pasty, add an egg wash and bake in the oven until brown and crispy.
- Use your leftover meat to make a spicy filling for tacos. Simply shred the meat and add to a spicy sauce, giving it plenty of time to soak up all the flavours. Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream and a punchy salsa.
4. Cut up your roast veggies and transform them into delicious salads, lasagnes and veggie bakes with this selection of recipes. Here are a few extra ideas to ensure not one veggie goes to waste:
- Follow the Italian lead and transform your leftover veggies into an egg-filled frittata.
- Leftover roast pumpkin is ideal in salads, especially when paired up with tangy goats cheese and baby spinach.
- Make a simple roast vegetable lasagne to turn all your veggies into a delicious and filling meal to serve the next day.